Thursday, August 19, 2010

Daddy, what does it mean to be a MAN?


I anticipate that one day I’ll have the privilege of answering this question for my boys. I hope that I will have modeled biblical masculinity for them in such a way that it will take little explanation. I fear that men and women in our culture would have a very hard time defining manhood or womanhood. Feminists have for a long time successfully fought for a society that erases the lines delineating between what makes us distinctly male or female. The results are obvious to the casual observer of our current pop-culture. While reading an article by John Piper on complementarianism I came across this interesting quote:


“The tendency today is to stress the equality of men and women by minimizing the unique significance of our maleness or femaleness. But this depreciation of male and female personhood is a great loss. It is taking a tremendous toll on generations of young men and women who do not know what it means to be a man or a woman. Confusion over the meaning of sexual personhood today is epidemic. The consequence of this confusion is not a free and happy harmony among gender-free persons relating on the basis of abstract competencies. The consequence rather is more divorce, more homosexuality, more sexual abuse, more promiscuity, more social awkwardness, and more emotional distress and suicide that come with the loss of God-given identity.” (A Vision of Biblical Complementarity, pp. 26-27, John Piper)


While the scope of consequences to our culture are shocking, the benefits of a biblical understanding of sexuality are equally pervasive. It will change your entire world view. Truth always does.


For more reading on this topic check out Recovering Biblical Manhood and Womanhood by Wayne Grudem and John Piper

No comments:

Post a Comment